Just unlocked my brand new Apple iPhone with a firmware version of 1.1.4
Unlocking iPhone for FREE:
- Downloaded and installed the free unlocking software Ziphone version 3.0 (30th of March 2008), from www.ziphone.org
- Connected iPhone to my laptop
- Disabled iTunes and related daemons & services.
- Uninstalled Apple update program/li>
- Ran ZiPhoneGUI.exe software and clicked on "Do it all" button
(This would jailbreak, activate and unlock iPhone. It will also downgrade the bootloader if it's v4.6.)
- Scrolling Text appeared on the iPhone and after 10 minutes, the system hung!
Last known system response was "Loading zibri.dat."
- Clicked on "Stop Process" and then clicked on" Do it all" button. Still nothing happened
- Disconnected the iPhone from the laptop and still it wouldn't shutdown.
- I rebooted my system still nothing happenned.
- Read the Trouble Shooting document and PANICKED even more.
- Venky, my friendly neighbourhood AJAX expert offered to help and connected the iPhone to a Mac. Nothing happenned.
- Then we figured how to restart the iPhone by holding the "Home" button and "Sleep" button together for 7 seconds!
- iPhone got rebooted. All systems functioned normally!
- Removed the SIM card holder using a paper clip and inserted my "Airtel" Sim card. And lo!, ZiPhone really unlocked my iPhone! :)
iPhone Unlock Demo on YouTube ZiPhone 2.5
Some initial observations
- Very impressed with the iPhone's package design.
- Displaying progress indicator on Safari's address bar is a cool idea.
- Thanks to the Accelerometer, browsing websites, reading blogs, viewing photos, YouTube videos, maps on a mobile never felt so good!
- Kept looking for a "close icon" for all the apps. Took a while to get used to the "Home" button
- It was a smooth experience flipping through photos, zooming into a blog et all
- On-screen keypad was initially a lil' difficult to use. Ended-up pressing the wrong keys